Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Sparks Of Insanity By Vinny "Bond" Marini Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"PEACE IN THE VALLEY"
"WELCOME TO MY MIND"
"LOW VOTER TURNOUT"
"AMERICAN ENGLISH"
"GRANDPA"



Welcome To THE COUCH...Sit on Down and Get Comfy..

"PEACE IN THE VALLEY"
It appears to me that Mimi's idea for Dona Nobis Pacem was a rousing success... THE COUCH personally spent much of the evening visiting many blogs to read as much as possible.

One of our visitors yesterday, Lizza from the Phillipines had this tremendous video on her site yesterday and as it streamed a tear came to my eye.

THE COUCH now shares it with all of you...it truly reminded me that the theme of the day DONA NOBIS PACEM can be started by one individual and if they are sincere and convinced that what they are doing is right, the idea can spread and be accepted by the multitudes...



It also brought to mind the visual from Tianamen Square when one brave soul stood tall against a line of aggressor tanks...


THE COUCH hopes that this simple idea begun by one lone woman takes hold and becomes a yearly event. At the same time we ask all of you sitting on THE COUCH to remember the video you just watched and remember you can make a difference with one tiny gesture...even a hug.
"WELCOME TO MY MIND"
THE COUCH had many new visitors yesterday and we are so happy they felt comfortable here.

There are many more red dots on our map...South Africa, the Phillipines...more throughout the US.

THE COUCH began as a comfortable place for The Soul Patrol to sit over on that gulag site...and migrated here to Blogger when it became evident we were no longer welcomed there.

In the course of the last few months, our visitors have increased; opening our world to many other writers who honor us by sharing their thoughts on subjects as varied as the population of the world.

"LOW VOTER TURNOUT"
As THE COUCH sits here the television is on and the results of the many elections are scrolling across the screen.

Being new to the Memphis area, many of the names mean nothing to me other then party affiliations, not knowing what they stand for or their platforms.

The recent move meant
THE COUCH was not able to participate in this election. As a registered independent THE COUCH has always voted for a candidate based upon their beliefs and platforms.

We wonder how many people, who had the ability and right to vote, did not. You see the numbers and realize there are hundreds of thousands of disenfranchised, who feel their one vote means so little they just bag the whole thing.

Put those hundreds of thousands of votes into a ballot box and many election results could change. If you are one who passed the polling places on your way to work, or on your way home, or on your way to and from lunch and you said "It doesn't matter", then you can not complain when your liberties are challenged or the things you believe in disappear.

If you did vote, I tip my hat to you and thank you for exercizing the one right every American, no matter their race, social status, or philosophy is allowed.

"AMERICAN ENGLISH"
Busy, one of THE COUCH's favorite people had a rant on her blog yesterday that touched another spot for us.

The question of language in our country. The fact that many new immigrants have deemed it their right to not have to speak English. This is especially prevalent in the Hispanic community.

Now,
THE COUCH has no problems with people wanting to speak their native language within their own ethnic group, but asking me to speak your language...and becoming upset if we do not..that is just plain wrong.

How many times have you seen job postings that require you to be bi-lingual English/Spanish?

Why should someone have to speak Spanish to get a job in the United States of America?

Because your co-workers or employees speak Spanish. Why are they not required to speak English?

In the town we just moved from in NJ, there is a large Asian population at this time. Recently there has been a push for the schools to add Cantonese to the language program. This makes
THE COUCH laugh, as the majority of students who will take this course come from homes where it is already spoken.

What sense does this make?
THE COUCH has no idea.

Again...understand
THE COUCH is not insisting that people leave their native tongues behind. What we ask is that the immigrants to this country understand that English is the language spoken here and learn it to become part of our great land.

Have we not always considered the USA a "melting pot". If we still do, then those who join us here - legally - need to be mixed into those of us who have come before them.

"GRANDPA"
THE COUCH wishes we had learned Italian and could speak it and, to this day, still think of a time when we can take an course and learn it.

WHY were we not taught it as a child...

My grandfather and grandmother came over as young people from Italy. When they arrived they only spoke Italian.


As a child, in their home, THE COUCH heard very few words of Italian spoken and when they did speak it, it was only because it was something they did not want us to understand.

Grandpa Ernest believed strongly that The United States of America was his home and English was the language of his country. He fought for the US in WWI and was so proud of his uniform and being a veteran.


He never forgot his native land, but knew that when he and his family moved, the only way to assimilate was to become an American.

As THE COUCH packed for this move, there was one item we needed to find and bring along. It is the flag that covered his coffin when he was buried.

It sits in the living room now, tri-folded as is the custom and looking at it, I can only thank my ancestors for taking the long, frightening journey across a grand ocean, to come to a place they hoped would bring a better life for themselves and their children and their children and so on.

Their wish has come true.


St. J - P.B.U.A.Q.B.


Thanks for sitting on THE COUCH, hope you enjoyed your stay.


Remember .. Nets For Malaria - UNFoundation.org/malaria - find the big SI's Nothing But Net logo ... Or call 202.887.9040. Every cent goes to buying nets to place over the beds of children in Africa to stomp out Malaria. PLEASE HELP.

Keep that spark of insanity kids...It helps keep you an individual.

SONG TITLE INDEX:
PEACE IN THE VALLEY: Composer: Thomas A. Dorsen
WELCOME TO MY MIND: Composer: John Patrick Denery & Chris Imlay
LOW VOTER TURNOUT: Composers: Timothy W. Alexander, Michael David Manring & Alex Nathan Skolnick
AMERICAN ENGLISH: Composers: Andrew M Gold & Graham Keith Gouldman
GRANDPA: Composer David Farnon



21 Of Your Sparks

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Nice blog today, dude.

    Thanks for expressing a view many Americans hold. I welcome any and all who come to this country legally, looking at the US as a place where they can make their dreams happen.

    I ask for only three things - come here legally, work hard, and learn to speak English.

     
  3. great post Bond. Voted today but didn't have time to do much with my blog except post the globe. It's great to surf around now and read all the wonderful blogger thoughts that accompanied the globes.
    Peace!

     
  4. Liz Hill Says:
  5. Your post reminded me of my grandmother telling me how her grandmother insisted that the family not use even native dialect/slang after they came to America. That side of the family was Irish/Scottish/English and even though English was their primary language they still made it a point to fit in. Why? Because they wanted their children to have all of the advantages being part of the 'big melting pot' could offer. And speaking 'American English' was a key to that happening.

    With the advent of this little device we are employing right now--where we are so easily linked to the world and it to us--- one would think that speaking English might be less important as our "world" expands. But it seems not to be true as the world uses English for so much. It seems only within our physical borders and in certain areas that we struggle with this problem.

     
  6. Unknown Says:
  7. Thanks for expanding the rant.

    I got a lot of hits on that one yesterday, seems many American's have had the same experiences.

    I have a feeling a showdown is coming, and NY will be the last place to adopt a law, or if not last next to last after LA.

     
  8. Yup, yup, yup... I voted yesterday... well last night anyway..

    Go to my blog today. I sent and e-mail to Busy and she and I both posted on our blogs today...

    Rant on... Rant on!!!

     
  9. Coco Says:
  10. I'm sorry I can't relate to your and Busy's rants on unilingualism. I do understand that it's part of the whole melting-pot thing, and can appreciate it as is. It's just that I've been conditioned otherwise, since I grew up, and completely embrace, the bilingualism that is inherent to living in New Brunswick. See, we are the only officially bilingual province in Canada and, what's more, my home town was the first officially bilingual city in Canada. It's a point of pride here, really, that 58% of our population is functionally bilingual. 34% of NB's population is francophone, 62% is anglophone and the rest are Migmaq and Maliseet. The next closest division is in Quebec, where 12% are anglo and the remainder speaks French, so you can see that the percentages here in NB are exceptional, thus requiring accomodations for BOTH. Oops - sorry about the mini-rant. This is something I feel quite strongly about, too, I guess.

     
  11. Mimi Lenox Says:
  12. It was wonderful to discover your blog via the beginning of the Peace Globe movement. I have made many new friends around the world. I will surely visit you as often as I can. Just as soon as I finish chasing little blue globes across the world! I personally hope that never ends or until one day we will have no need of them. Blessings and peace to you on this very first Dona Nobis Pacem in the Blogosphere. Mimi Lenox

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. No coco you misunderstand. What is happening in Canada is cool. The problem is bilingulism, the problem is we are being FORCED into it suddenly. You grew up with it, it is natural. I am almost 40 and all of a sudden I'm told I can't have a job b'cause I don't speak a language that I wasn't taught to speak (nor was required to). It doesn't matter that I have a PhD. Susie over here can speak spanish, she didn't make it past the 10th grade but we'll give the job to her instead. It is very frustrating for us. I know it is hard for non-American's to understand. It is a big sore spot for us.

     
  15. Anonymous Says:
  16. i have an at&tphone

     
  17. TRAVIS: Totally agree...and thanks

    LEXA: It was a joy to see all the globes...thanks for sitting on THE COUCH

     
  18. TURN: Excellent comment - thanks for sharing

    BUSY: You knew I would take off on it eventually! LOL

    DIXIE: Saw your posting and it is spot on.

    COCO: Busy answered before I could and she took the English right out of my mouth!

    MIMI: The Peace Globe has brought so many new people together. Thanks for sitting on THE COUCH

    BUSY: Thanks...I couldn't have said it better.

    SHOULDKNOWBETTER: ummm would you like to explain that comment?

     
  19. Anonymous Says:
  20. From the mind of Meribah:

    I really liked that video of the "Free Hugs" guy. It was kinda sad that peeps weren't willing to accept his hugs, at first, although I can understand why; There are an awful lot of weirdos in the world after all, but it was nice to see some brave souls accept them. I think the world would be a lot better place if there were more hugs. Hugs to you all!

     
  21. Twyla Says:
  22. The peace day was a great way of finding new blogs to read, and I'm glad that I stumbled upon yours. I'm looking forward to reading more.
    I'm hoping you will try Thursday Thirteen tomorrow. I've only been doing it for 4 weeks, but it's another great way to meet other bloggers.
    Thanks for adding me to your links. I will return the favour. :-)

     
  23. MERI: Yes it would be....

     
  24. Jules Says:
  25. Hey there - great post! That video brought a tear to my eye too...I don't know how I missed it on Lizza's blog, as I'm an avid reader of hers. Hmmm...anyway, just wanted to say hi!

     
  26. JULIE: Thanks for the kind words.. I am glad I found Lizza..I do enjoy her.

     
  27. Rainbow Says:
  28. Nothing tics me off more than to call a company and it directs you to push 1 for English and whatever for Spanish! Or go to the ATM Machine, same thing. I don't get it! If you want to live in the USA, then for God's sake learn the language!!!! Our ancestors did... I live near a heavily populated Arabic community. They can not read English..so how the hell did they get a driver's license?????? And their driving is horrendous!!! Oh and one other thing...sending jobs off-shore!!!! I worked for a company for many years, I expected to retire from this company, I worked so many long hours with no over-time pay...and what happens? They send my job off-shore to India!!!! They even had the audacity to ask me to train this person!!!!! What the hell is happening in america? Don't we look after "our own" anymore? Why is our government allowing this to happen? Forget I even asked that question. Until that ass is out of office, nothing will change. Ahhhh I feel so much better..thank you for opportunity to rant, I feel slightly better. HUGS!!!

     
  29. I was waiting for you to join this rant Ms. Sue... I rememebr you telling me about your job being outsourced offshore.

    HUGS

     
  30. Lizza Says:
  31. The COUCH is so welcoming! I'm liking it here very much...it's a comfy place to hang around. :-)

    Thank you for the mention...I'm so glad Mimi's DNP Day led me to your blog.

     
  32. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "the official language" debate. As the daughter of immigrant parents who thought the same your grandparents did, I, too, have very strong opinions on the subject. I live in a region of the country that deals with the "immigration crisis" continuously. Living in a border state puts this debate front an center each and every day.

    I hate to appear unChristian, unsympathetic, or unWhatever, but knowing what my parents sacrificed to move to this country legally and what they did to become American makes me a very vocal person on the subject of immigration and cultural immersion. Most of my friends who disagree with me on the subject know never to engage me in this discussion because THEY WILL NOT WIN ME OVER.

     
  33. DESERT: TY for joining in on THE COUCH and expressing your views..come back soon

     

Music On The Couch